Wednesday 11 May 2016

Standing in the Rain

Yesterday I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream at Shakespeare's Globe.  It was the first time I'd seen that particular play, as well as the first time I'd seen a play at the Globe (I went on a guided tour a few years ago, but didn't see a play for reasons that needn't detain us.)

I bought a ticket for the yard, partly to save money - not a fortune, but when added to a train ticket a saving worth making - but also for the hell of it.  I kidded myself that I could feel like a 'groundling' standing in an Elizabethan theatre.  Complete rubbish, of course: aside from anything else modern health and safety rules wouldn't allow the theatre to get that overcrowded.  Nevertheless, the experience was part of the attraction.

And then I saw the weather forecast for yesterday: frequent heavy showers throughout the afternoon.  I told myself I wouldn't let the weather spoil things, without believing a word.  Willpower (indeed) is key to these things and I have loads.  I have willpower by the bucketload.  Indeed, I once willed myself to walk to the garden shed in a torrential downpour.  What's more, I'm a northerner: bit of light blather can't put me off.

The truth is the rain knocked off for most of the afternoon and wasn't that heavy anyway.  I won't say it enhanced the experience, but A Midsummer Night's Dream is quite an earthy play and this was a suitably earthy performance, more than suited to the outdoor experience.  The music was perhaps patchy (some wonderful sitar playing from Sheema Mukherjee and some sleazy jazz guitar, but the occasional detour into the cocktail lounge).  The performances were great, although there was a strange lack of chemistry between Hermius and Lysandra.  There were some modern additions, but these were suitably smutty and not overwhelming.  It's not for everyone, I guess, but if you're up for an experience - linguistic and kinaesthetic - go now.  If you can't go now, go as soon as now has finished.


No comments: